Pumpkin EVERYTHING! Begins with pie.

        As stated earlier. I'm beginning this blog on my favorite day of the year, with one of my favorite things in the world. Pumpkin. Pumpkin Pie to be exact. I know, I know I made the Pumpkin Pie on Autumn Eve but I didn't eat it until exactly 12:02 am this morning. I had gone to a friend's house to watch The Shining and got home at midnight. Perfect timing to try the pie!



        After that, I completely crashed out. I can't stay up as late as I used too. Actually, I've completely switched from a Night Owl to someone who is WAY to peppy early in the morning. But, I like it that way!
        Now getting back to the pie. The recipe I used is from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I'm not sure of the year. I know my Mom has one just like it but it is the best kind of cookbook. It is torn, written on, scattered. The sign of a well used cookbook. I usually don't follow recipes but I'm trying to do more baking and with that, you definitely have to follow a recipe. That is the exact reason I hate baking! When I'm in the kitchen I'm in my own world. Add a little of this, a little of that, but oh wait what about this?! You do that with a cake and you can kiss that cake goodbye! But I'm learning and it was nice to ask my Mom questions about how to actually make this Pumpkin Pie from a real Pumpkin, not a can of Pumpkin.
 
        Okay so let's get to the recipe!
       
          Classic Pumpkin Pie
        
                      Ingredients
                    
                          1 Pie Pumpkin
                          3/4 cup sugar
                          1/2 tsp. salt
                          2 tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
                          3 eggs
                          1 12-ounce can Condensed Milk
                          1 unbaked pie crust (Hey, this recipe is Semi-Homemade!)
 
                     Directions
            
                          Cut your Pie Pumpkin in half and spray with cooking spray, place in a baking dish in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until you can stick a knife through the outer part.
                           Scrape the seeds from the inside of the pumpkin after it has cooled. (Save those for later!)
                           In a large bowl mix your sugar, salt, spices and pumpkin. Make sure your pumpkin is cool or it will scramble those eggs in a bit! Ew?
                           Now you are going to mix in your milk. Taste it. That is the key component in cooking, tasting as you go. It is important to taste before you add your eggs in so you don't get sick. Which I don't understand because don't those people put raw eggs in their bro-tein shakes? (Did you see what I did there?)  I'm getting sidetracked. Anyway...
 
                            If it tastes good go ahead and add those eggs! I added a little extra Pumpkin Pie Spice because, well I love it. And speaking of Pumpkin Pie Spice, I get mine from this awesome Pantry in Huntsville called the Huntsville Pantry. Its worth the drive.
 



                                  Pour this into your uncooked pie shell. Which you will have to roll out a little bit. So throwing that flour down on the counter and getting the Rolling Pin out will help with the guilt of using store bought pie crust. Also, you get to crimp the edges. It sounds easy right? Well, it isn't and isn't going to be perfect and that is fine. Life isn't perfect, pie crust isn't perfect and that is what makes it so sweet.
                                  I sprinkle a little bit of Nutmeg on that top of mine. We will discuss why I do this in a blog later this week. Pop that baby in the 400 degree oven and let it cook for 40-50 minutes. Keep an eye on it. Now you wait and then Heaven comes out of the oven and it looks a little something like this:
 
 
 
This is the first of the many Pumpkin recipes and talk that will occur on this page! Once again, Happy Fall Yall!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Finally Here!